The Human Kind Project foundation began in 2015 by Jacinta McDonell after an immersion trip to Malawi that changed her life.
The Human Kind Project is completely registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission (ACNC) and is a Deductible Gift Certificate (DGR2) status foundation.
Organisations or agencies who are endorsed (approved) by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or named in tax law as ‘deductible gift recipients’ (DGRs) may receive tax deductible gifts such as financial donations.
Different categories of DGR have different requirements. For example, many donors require organisations to be endorsed with DGR Item 1 status, which is usually provided to active ‘doing’ organisations and who achieve proactive charitable objectives on the ground. This is opposed to philanthropic organisations who are endorsed with DGR Item 2 status, which is a tax status provided to donor organisations who cannot give to other DGR Item 2 organisations and must only give to DGR Item 1 organisations to fulfil their required projects on the ground, be that in Australia, Malawi, India or other.
The Human Kind Project is run by strict foundation guidelines wherein:
- It operates as a non-profit entity operating solely in Australia with a public ancillary fund for donations
- Donor receive a tax receipt outlining the amount of their donation with the name, the details the Human Kind Project including the ABN, registered address, and that the donation is a gift received by the fund.
- The Human Kind Project as a foundation is audited each financial year and financial statements are available annually on the fund’s performance.
- The Human Kind Project must distribute at least 4% of the fund’s assets each financial year.
- The Human Kind Project has three Directors including Jacinta MacDonell, Anytime Fitness Australia CFO Sean Mura, and the chartered accountant Greg Will.
- A maximum of 17% of funds donated are used for administration purposes leaving the large majority for the foundation donations allocated to change for good projects.
- The Human Kind Project is committed to protecting the privacy of donors and any information collected is required for the purposes of facilitating that donation and is not passed onto third parties at any time.